After living on my own for couple of years, I finally moved back home. Ever since I moved back I haven’t cooked as much, I’m not sure if it’s just the ‘back home’ feeling or just sheer laziness or may be a bit of both.
I had started missing cooking even though it was just for one. I miss the excitement of trying out a new recipe that I had found online or thrill of experimenting with an ingredient that I was craving on a particular day. So, I made a deal with my mum that she would cook in the mornings and I would make dinner for the family.
This was what I made for Day 1 of the deal.
It started off with what vegetables were there at home. Peas were the only thing I felt like eating. I quickly went online to see what I could make with peas and found this amazing recipe and decided to try it out.
- Soak cashews in warm water and set them aside
- Boil the peas and set it aside
- Grind the chillies and ginger
- Grind the tomato and cashews
- Add oil in a pan and heat it, add the bay leaf, cloves, cinnamons and cardamoms and sauté
- Then add the chillies and ginger paste and continue sautéing
- Then add the tomato and cashew paste and allow it to simmer until you see the oil raise
- Then add the chilli powder, garam masala, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric, asafoetida and salt.
- Then add the the peas and a cup of water, continue stirring it.
- Add the cup of curd and stir. Then add milk and allow to simmer. By now there should be some amount of consistency.
- Garnish with Kasturi methi and butter. The Peas masala is ready to be served.
Recipe inspired from Veg Recipes of India.